English PGA Tour rookie Marco Penge has announced he is stepping away from competition for an indefinite period to focus on his health, just hours after missing the cut at the PGA Championship at Aronimink.
The 27-year-old shared the news on social media on Sunday, revealing that he has been quietly battling ear, neck and nervous system symptoms since contracting a viral infection at the DP World Tour Championship in Dubai last November — and that recent MRI scans of his brain, head and neck have convinced him it is time to stop and recover properly.
What Happened
Penge confirmed the news in a statement posted to his personal accounts after rounds of 75 and 77 at Aronimink saw him bow out of his maiden PGA Championship. He told followers he had been dealing with persistent “ear/neck/nervous system” issues for roughly six months, beginning with the viral illness he picked up in Dubai at the end of the 2025 DP World Tour season.
“Moving forward, I have decided that I am going to take some time off to get my health back to where it needs to be,” Penge wrote, adding that he wanted to be honest with fans about why he was disappearing from the leaderboards.
The Englishman has continued to deal with a sinus infection and bouts of vertigo since the original viral illness, and after symptoms returned during the PGA Championship week, he underwent further MRI imaging on his brain, head and neck. He has not put a return date on the break, but indicated it would be measured in months rather than weeks.
A Rookie Season That Was Just Starting to Click
Penge arrived in America this season as one of the most highly regarded European graduates in years. He finished second in the 2025 Race to Dubai — the DP World Tour’s season-long standings — which automatically earned him a 2026 PGA Tour card alongside the other top-10 non-members.
His American debut campaign had been a study in resilience. He made seven cuts in 12 starts, peaked with a tied-4th finish at the Valspar Championship at Innisbrook in March, and entered PGA Championship week ranked 83rd in the FedEx Cup. He had begun to look like the sort of player who could comfortably retain status and threaten a maiden PGA Tour win in 2026.
That trajectory now goes on hold. Penge is one of several recent PGA Championship participants to withdraw from the upcoming CJ Cup Byron Nelson, joining names mentioned in our Brooks Koepka CJ Cup preview, where the field has thinned considerably ahead of TPC Craig Ranch.
Why It Matters
Penge’s decision is significant for three reasons.
First, it is a striking example of a young tour pro publicly prioritising long-term health over short-term ranking points. The PGA Tour calendar in 2026 is unforgiving — the FedEx Cup Fall window, the new signature events structure, and the looming Tour Championship qualification cut-off all reward players for grinding through anything short of an outright injury. Penge could easily have kept teeing it up and let the symptoms compound. Choosing recovery now is the harder call.
Second, it underlines how disruptive post-viral syndromes can be to high-level athletes. The constellation Penge describes — lingering ear involvement, vertigo, sinus inflammation and “nervous system” symptoms following a viral illness — is consistent with the pattern researchers have been documenting in athletes struggling with post-viral recovery since 2020. For a sport that depends on millimetre-perfect balance, stable head position over the ball and rock-solid vestibular function, vertigo is potentially career-altering.
Third, it adds context to a quietly thinning PGA Championship aftermath. Aaron Rai’s breakthrough win at Aronimink — covered in our Aaron Rai PGA Championship recap — dominated the weekend headlines, but the back end of the leaderboard told a different story. Several rookies, Penge included, struggled with the firm fescue and demanding setup, and Penge’s MC there was the trigger for a decision he had clearly been weighing for some time.
What This Means For You
For golf fans following the rest of the 2026 season, expect Penge’s name to disappear from PGA Tour leaderboards for a while. His non-member status means his FedEx Cup position is somewhat protected, but extended time off will inevitably make 2027 status calculations tighter.
For amateur golfers, his announcement is a useful reminder that vertigo, sinus issues and lingering post-viral symptoms aren’t just “feeling rough” — they directly degrade the proprioceptive system the golf swing depends on. If your scores have nosedived after a virus that lasted longer than expected, this is the time to see a doctor rather than push through with a louder pre-shot routine.
And for anyone watching the DP World Tour-to-PGA Tour pipeline, Penge’s case shows that talent is only one variable in whether a graduate sticks. Conditioning, scheduling discipline and access to medical support all matter — particularly for the players based in Europe who fly transatlantic week after week through the heart of the schedule.
Key Takeaways
- Marco Penge has announced an indefinite break from the PGA Tour effective immediately, following missed cut at the PGA Championship at Aronimink.
- The decision follows roughly six months of ear, neck and nervous system symptoms that began with a viral illness at the 2025 DP World Tour Championship in Dubai.
- The 27-year-old has undergone recent MRI imaging on his brain, head and neck, and has not set a return date.
- He arrived on the PGA Tour as the No. 2 finisher in the 2025 Race to Dubai, recorded a T-4 at the Valspar Championship in March, and sat 83rd in the FedEx Cup at the time of his announcement.
- His withdrawal from the CJ Cup Byron Nelson is the formal next step — he had been entered before missing the cut at Aronimink.
Penge has not addressed where or how his recovery programme will be supervised, but in a separate post thanked the medical team that has been working with him through the early part of the year. The wider golf community has responded with overwhelming support — including a number of his European peers — and Golf Guidebook will update this story as further news emerges.
